Tuesday 4 May 2010

Wool




'Over the Brae'
I have to travel over the brae to get to the next village. This wool has been caught in the barb wire for a few months now. There is certain seasons when sheep lose their wool both naturally and unnaturally.
The sheep shearing season starts on the 25th of May and finishes at the end of July. Working around Dumfries and Galloway through my work allows me to travel places which I would never usually come across. Each farm marks their sheep to keep track of their livestock, the colours vary from farm to farm.
Markers are also used when the sheep are wounded when being clipped by the shearers, so the farmer can keep track and treat the wound.
The use of marking interests me and I want to explore this further. Each farm has their own and area and use different ways to make this clear.







No comments:

Post a Comment